01 June 2008

Another month, another theme

This month's NaBloPoMo theme is "Home". I think I'm going to like this a lot better than last month's. I just didn't quite have the voices thing down.

For one, I'm going to not label each of my posts as "home1" or "home2" as I did with the voices theme. I'm just going to write as I do. For two, if it doesn't seem like my blog post for the day is representing "home", keep in mind that writing/typing is something I love to do so just doing this is home in itself.

So today we're going to talk about home. This weekend I took my BIL and nephew to the cities for the Twins/Yankees game. Last night as we were driving into town, merging with the flowing traffic and being engulfed by the buildings over 4 stories "with all their windows", as my nephew liked to point out, I breathed in a home like no other.

I spent 7 years in the cities and loved every minute, even when the pimp and pro were outside on our corner fighting and shooting off guns. It just made life seem real. Sometimes living here, in this somewhat sheltered area, I just feel like I'm coasting through. But living there, even if I wasn't directly involved with situations like that, it just made life seem real - it wasn't something I just read about or saw on TV.

So I breathed in deep as we drove by the numerous buildings and mini malls and stores you only see there. I came into my element.

This morning we needed to kill some time before the game and so I took BIL and nephew on a little tour of my world. I showed them the lake I ran by during the marathon. I took them by Matt's Bar. I lamented about not taking them to the Chatterbox last night. I showed them my old apartment and waved to A1 as we drove by (and she looked thoroughly confused as I did). I was going to show them where I used to work but BIL wasn't interested so we just took the long route to Perkins and Target (I needed DC with splenda).

To make my feel of home even better, I ran into Sarah and Eric at Perkins. I saw Eric walk in so I texted Sarah, "Order the heartland omelet. It's yummy. P.S. I see you!" When she finally got the message she wrote back, "Where are you?" and started looking around. When she spotted me she started laughing and we hugged. Our joke: we have to travel 4 hours to see each other when in actuality we live only 40 minutes apart right now. Too funny. And Eric thought it was hilarious when Sarah said we need to get together soon and I said, "You're on my list to call this week." Of course she is. And of course I have a list. I'm nuts.

Anyway, I'll write more about the game tomorrow but let me just say that the short time we spent in my old hometown has rejuvenated me again. I feel a little like my old self again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so hilarious!!!

Aww, Perkins and baseball games. How I miss being in the states!