31 July 2008

Camp, Day 4

Yeah, so that didn't happen. I did get in without waking them up, but I didn't take out my contacts or change into pajamas. So my eyes are really sore today.
We're getting ready for the “dance” right now and I'm really tempted to pop out my contacts and just go with glasses, but I better not. My glasses are worse than my contacts right now.

Today was a good day to a point. We went to the Home to perform our skits. By this day in the week if we haven't done team photos I get really nervous. So I had the teams pose at the Home by some of their statues and they turned out really well. Maybe we'll be lucky and the helicopter we are hoping to get tomorrow (in place of Tuesday's fiasco) will show up and we can take them there instead, but I'm not holding my breath.

So while the teams were performing for the residents, I took pictures outside. We had lunch on the bus (well, the kids did – Nikki and I took a van) and we headed to another lake to swim and paddleboat. While that was happening one team at a time went up the hill to a ranch where they had an hour long trail ride. I thought this was really cool, but I didn't get to go along to take pictures so all I could get was the kids getting on the horse or getting off. Again, another photo op moment lost. Depressing for me, but what do you do?

After this Nikki, Casey and I took two vans and the Junior Counselors to another local visitor trap. I drove because Nikki wanted a break. So, in the fashion that is me, we were pulling up to a stop sign as we got to the location and I yelled out “Break check!” and slammed on the breaks. I'm still laughing about this now.

Everyone was pretty well protected except Jessica who flew toward the window but Nikki and I caught her. She busted out laughing. Nikki and I were laughing. Shane was laughing though he scraped his knee a little. Everyone else was fine but annoyed. In fact, Nikki told me later that one of the 'pretty' girls (she's a little annoying) said, “What the...” and then rolled her eyes. I'm kind of surprised they even got back into the van. I'm sure they'll report this to their parents and I won't be asked back but whatever. Nikki and I told Casey and she thought it was hysterical.

After the tour thing we went to DQ for dinner and then their group picture. I was kind of annoyed (again) by all the attention these JC's were getting because very few of them were really involved with their team, instead choosing to text or suntan or talk to each other. They didn't seem to get that it wasn't about them, it was about the other kids and by them not helping they made the camp more difficult and less fun for those who the camp was really for.

Whatever. Tonight is the “dance” and we have no karaoke machine or good sound system, so this will be interesting. For me? Shower time.

No comments: