30 July 2008

Camp, Day 3

Wednesday, shag day...oh wait. Wrong moment. That's from Sliding Doors, and this is truly not a Sliding Doors week. Though it does feel like I'm reliving some of this crap again.

Today we had another obstacle course and training for the kids on camp. We canoed, learned to shoot rifles (pellets only), tie dyed (my favorite part and I have an awesome cloth), and played Capture the Flag. Lots of fun for the kids, but not all the best for photo ops – at least the shooting portion.

It was another long, hot day, adding to my candy striping tan. Honestly, the day seemed to go on forever. Jasper decided to head back to her office to start on our DVD project so I took an hour and burned to disc the photos I had taken so she had those if she wanted to use them.

After dinner, Mike, Nikki and I performed a skit for the kids. We did “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein. The kids loved it. I had a blast, though the pictures Randi got make me look super fat so it'll be back on my running and eating program ASAP. I got to be the tree (keep in mind I'm 5'5”) and Mike played the little boy (he's 6'3”). We had fun though. There's a part in the story where the tree tells the boy to take her apples and sell them, so of course I had props – an apple for each hand. The kids loved this. I don't know why.

After we did our skit, the teams performed the skits they had been working on for each other. They'll perform them tomorrow at a local rest home but the room where they do that is so small that they don't get to see them otherwise.

While they did that Nikki and I ran to the big town for supplies for tomorrow night's dance. We were a little annoyed with this because it was our 3rd trip to town (well, Nikki's 3rd) and Sam's Club closed right as we got there. So we had to go to Wal-mart and try to improvise our list. During this Marty called to check on how the camp was going, so we met up with him at a local lounge to do just that.

Can I just say, that was an awesome time? Again, not sure we're supposed to do that, but we had such a blast. There was a biker and his new girlfriend sitting next to Marty when we arrived and Nikki and I started laughing. So I walked up and put my hand on his back and said, “Sorry we're late, dear.” Nikki did the same thing and we sat on either side of him. The biker goes, “Whoa man...you got two women? Can you handle them?” Nikki and I just shook our heads and smiled. So the woman said to me, “You must be his wife.” nope. So she said to Nikki, “Then you must be.” nope. We just work together, though Marty said we worked for him. I was supposedly his secretary. NOT. We put the lid down on that in a hurry.

But the three of us talked about camp and ideas to make it better and stayed way later than we had planned, to the point where our hour drive back was looking a little stupid to do. We toyed with getting a room, but decided that probably wouldn't be a good idea. So we came back.

Of course our cabin mates are all asleep so I'm not sure how we're going to do this. I need to sneak in, take out my contacts, change into pajamas and get into my bunk, all without waking them. Wish me luck!

No comments: