29 July 2008

Camp, Day 2

Today was crazy busy. I hate doing KP. I just want to say that. Okay, it's said.
We took the kids on an obstacle course today and showed them some basic survival skills. It was a lot of fun, but not very well organized. Jasper and I were supposed to take the team pictures but the helicopter we were going to take them in front of was “broken”. That's in quotes because later in the day we saw it flying around the city. Hmmm....

Anyway, we ran out of water early, which is never good in 100 degree heat with limited shade. One group took off by themselves, with their very cool leader (not kidding here), and so we didn't get many pictures of them. Thankfully, one of the counselors had brought his camera for that group so I'm going to trade pictures with him later.

After a lot of stress with lunch, water, heat, kids homesick, blah blah blah, we finally left for the lake. That was fun, though I'm feeling quite hefty these days so I just stayed in my shorts and t-shirt. Probably a bad idea because I have a farmer's tan from hell. In fact, when Marty stopped by earlier in the day he made fun of my tan and made a comment about being a candy striper. Yes it was that bad. I did put on sunscreen, but I totally spaced on reapplying at noon. Oh well. I need whatever tan I can get.

We had dinner at the marina consisting of hotdogs, fruit, cookies and beans. Good times, good times.

Then we headed to one of our fabulous National Monuments. We go here every year and it is truly my favorite part of the week. Of course I'm a sentimental sap, so singing the national anthem, saying the pledge of allegiance, honoring our veterans, and feeling the history surrounding this place always makes me cry. It's really powerful. Di was telling me about the Easter Brunch/Program they have. I'm totally going to look into that for next year because I think that would be amazing.

The ride back to camp was uneventful, sort of. Rich, Nikki, Rachel and I hung back to talk and make sure we had all the kids before we left and we ended up falling way behind everyone else. We had our own van so we didn't care too much, but we got back way later than the rest of the group. Of course, we also stopped for some libation – one, I should say. It's a tradition that we go out for Rachel's birthday which always falls around camp time and we didn't get to go out Monday, so we stopped for one tonight. Tee hee. I'm glad we did. I don't think we were supposed to but it's something we needed. We'll see if we get caught.

No comments: