23 July 2008

"Happy people just don't shoot their husbands."

"Well, they don't!"

Maybe it's the rain. Maybe I'm tired. Maybe I'm not eating right.

Or maybe it's because I'm allowing my peers to influence me in ways I shouldn't - Just Say No!

Today things were going well. I kicked my own butt with the lower body 10-min-trainer this morning, had breakfast AGAIN! WOOHOO, and work was going well this morning. Our Wednesday meetings are awesome and the-man-I-look-up-to joked around with me a lot during it so that always makes things go better.

But then around 11 JH texts me and asks if I'm going to lunch with everybody. Uh, What? So I found her in the hall and I said that I had no idea what she was talking about. She said, "Lunch." Um...yeah. You'll have to expand that statement a little.

Well, one of the ladies in our building (but works in a different section than I do) is leaving for a couple months and so her "section" had a lunch for her to say goodbye. Everyone, including the woman who hates me, was invited except for me and the money folks down the hall (in my section, officially, though we all share the same building).

So I felt bad, then felt like whatever, then kind of got mad...well, maybe annoyed.

I didn't care because I had lunch plans to run with NRB and leftovers from the night before. It's not the first time this section has done this - where "they" have had a lunch but left out those handful of us that aren't in their section though we share the building.

I had kind of gotten over it by the time I got back from my run. Thank God for NRB. We ran the first mile in 10:25, which was awesome and I actually felt really good afterward, but he had kept asking me questions and I can't talk and run so I walked to answer him and we ended up walking 3 miles and talking the whole time...in the rain. Nice.

But when I got back to my office TimDon came in and said, "We missed you at lunch." Okay, thanks TimDon. I appreciate that. "Well, why didn't you come?" I wasn't invited. "What?! That's not right." Well, I'm not in your section so whatever. "But everyone else was invited!" Really, were the money guys invited. "Well, no." Well there you go.

He was annoyed though and couldn't understand why I wasn't invited.

Here's the thing and it's been bothering me all afternoon. I don't care that I didn't get to go. But what I care about is that people like TimDon think I should have been there and so if they don't ask me, and they assume I was invited but didn't come, then I'm the bitch for not supporting my co-worker.

And that's what I hate. I try to fit in with this group, but from the beginning I was warned that the building was very cliquey. I knew this and was reminded a year ago when the other job came up and the girl who we were saying good-bye to had told me to get out of the building while I could because it was so cliquey. And here it happens that it's so very true.

So I've been a little annoyed this afternoon and I hate that because I've been really happy lately! I mean, I've been exercising and exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don't shoot their husbands.*

So this should just be rolling off my back, but maybe I can get over it tonight. I'm going to my happy place. I have a picture of a hot man to look at, my favorite jeans and shirt on, my favorite Converse (at least until Mom shows up with my stuff so I can take them off), I'm going to make my favorite Kashi pizza, and watch Legally Blonde, or maybe My Blue Heaven.

Hopefully this will help.

*Disclaimer: I'm not going to shoot my husband because, hey, guess what?! I don't have one! I wouldn't anyway, 'cause that's just not nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're quoting "Legally Blonde" and I got the reference immediately because I know you don't have a husband!! LOL!

Office politics suck. I hope everything got worked out.