16 July 2008

WOW

I am SO out of shape. Or I'm just really not used to working out during the warmer temps. Hmm...for the sake of my self-esteem, let's chalk it up to the latter.

First I need to lament for a bit. I really miss my former running buddy.

My FRB was fast but at least when he slowed down to stay with my pace I didn't feel like I was keeping him from a good workout. And he was just a wee bit taller than me so our legs were about the same length which helped with pacing. And he'd talk the whole way so I wouldn't have to until we walked which helped me keep going (because once I start talking I can't focus on my breathing and my running gets jacked up).

So today I'm sad and weeping that I don't get to run with my former running buddy any more.

FRB: I know you don't read this but I really miss you. I wish we could run together again.

OK...so I tested out my new running buddy today - he's way younger, 6'2" and has legs like a racehorse. I tried to forewarn him that I'm slow and walk. He thought I was over exaggerating my speed. Yeah, he caught on quick.

From my perspective the time was good. Granted we did walk a lot but we went 5.5 miles and in the heat so even if I was walking I was still working my lungs toward heat and humidity which I don't get in the morning. But sadly my NRB didn't get a very good workout. He said the company was good but when his shirt is dry again by the time we get back to the car it's probably not the best.

But while it was good that he dragged me out to run, I don't know if I can do it to him again. I hate holding people up in their workouts. I know how I am. And maybe running is just better for me if I do it alone. I learned that a bit with the marathon last year when I was holding up JB. I felt better when she went ahead of me because I knew she could do better without me holding her back.

So tomorrow I need to get out again. And I think Jenna and I are going to look at bikes tomorrow night so maybe I can bike to work instead of driving every day. What a plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Running with other people doesn't work well for me. I never ran well in formations because I was one of the slowest! There was a younger girl, slower than I was, but they never gave her a hard time about running. I probably hated it more than she did and it didn't hurt her physically to run--but I was never gonna keep up with the guys. 10 minute miles hurt those that can run better!