02 November 2007

A rum and coke night

As one of my co-workers put it, today is a day where I go home, sit on my couch and repeat to myself, “I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.”

Actually I do do that every night. I really love my job, but like every job there is there are moments where you just want to scream and run away or have a rum and coke at 8 in the morning, not worrying about those consequences.

This week has been crazy. We have a promotion going on this weekend where workers spouses could sign up to go (they had to have special approval from a place in Nebraska first so we also needed SSNs). So last week I had gotten the list, sent it in and then found out Tuesday that our list was wrong (initially we had friends and family listed too – not eligible). So we had to scratch off those not applicable and find others. And every hour I would have at least 2 or 5 phone calls asking if their wife or husband was on the list and for which day. UGH. How many times do I have to say that I don't know if they'll be approved or which day I'll have space.

It got pretty insane, so much so that today I was in a 90 minute meeting and bet the facilitator that the voice mails I had waiting on my phone would total the number 6 and 5 would be regarding the promotion. I was off by one on both counts. I am to the point where I don't even want to answer my phone.

Which got me wondering if I really have to answer my phone every time it rings. I have to answer my bosses line if he's out (and even if he's in to clear the way first). But my line? Do I have to answer it every time or can I let some of them go? This week was overwhelming impacted by the amount of phone calls I had, and I know people just wanted to know answers but I had none.

I do have caller ID so maybe I need to use that more and just avoid the calls I don't need to answer right away, but as one other person put it, if she needs an answer right away she calls; if not, then she emails.

So with that rational, maybe I do need to answer my phone. I don't know. I'm just feeling so overwhelmed right now. Too much going on in the space of a short week. One of my colleagues said, “Make it count! 8 for 8 every day!” I gave him the dirtiest look and he said, “Don't start with you huh?” Yeah, don't start with me. I made it 10 for 10 all week long and I'm still behind. Ugh.

So tell me, because next week will be quieter so I can do some catch up but I'm still wondering about the phone thing. Your thoughts?


No comments: