11 January 2009

Mentor - the freshmaker

This was an interesting work weekend. One of my younger colleagues in another section (I'm an honorary member - and I have proof: my picture is on their wall) asked if I'd be her mentor so she'd have another perspective than just Matt. Sure. I can do that.

So we sat down at lunch on Saturday and I asked her what she would like from our mentor/mentee relationship. Adam was sitting with us and he said, "I think you need to help her with her love life." Uh, okay.

Yeah, this is a great idea. Let me help the 20-yr-old with her love life when I have enough trouble with my own. Whatever. But we talked out her situation and worked it out for her.

Then I went to a meeting/training where we were talking about a process for my position that actually doesn't affect me at all because of where my position falls on the food chain. So JD whispers, "Log in so we can email." Okay. I have things to clean up in my email account anyway.

Well, she goes into her trauma of her dating life with handsome RW. I wanted to laugh because this was just insane. But we talked and I think she felt better when we left class, but who knows what will really happen with that one.

I just find it ironic because I'm having such a time with my love life that to have these young girls asking me what to do seems to be a contradiction of things. I mean, hello! I was home on a Saturday night! Alone! And in bed by 10! Alone!

Oh well. Maybe that's just how my life is supposed to be. Help the others get the men. I used to wonder about that when I was younger when my guy friends would say to me, "You know, if we had met first before I started dating [insert name], you and i would be dating." Okay, so I'm a good second option, but not the first.

I want to be first! I deserve that. I'm awesome! ... I think.

Okay, I'm getting depressed again. I think I'm going to go to bed and relish in the Steelers win and get some sleep because I want to go into work for a few hours tomorrow during our "blizzard".

2 comments:

M. said...

Hang in there girl. It's winter and it sucks. It's basically the season to get depressed, so don't be to hard on yourself. Take a long hot bath and relish the time because the future may be full of husband(s?), babies and no time to exfoliate.

~moe~ said...

Thanks, Mtanga - you are so right. :) Exfoliation, here I come! :)