05 June 2009

Notes from today

Two quotes that made me smile today:
"Those guys are on crack...divine crack." (KC referencing the Veggie Tales guys)

"I encourage your craziness, because it makes me feel less crazy. Just do it! I would do the jiggly dance of joy for your benefit, but alas you are way over there." (again KC, thanks dear.)

-----

I really need to rein myself in here. Today I was sitting at lunch, eating my delicious chicken, and thinking, "I really want to go run again." Ugh. What is wrong with me?! I ran 1.5 this morning (in 14:10 - that's a 9:26 pace!!!!) and today is supposed to be a rest day! I know I'm scared that if I take a day off from running I won't go back. I've done that before and it's so hard to get back into the swing of it. Granted I had taken 2 weeks off after the DNF marathon and surprisingly this week's running has been going really well. I mean, I remember when I couldn't run a mile without stopping to walk at least once if not more. Now I'm running 5 or 6 at a shot without question. But there's always that fear that if I stop I won't start again.

But maybe my mindset is better right now. It helps that MS is training for a Tri so we're both kind of in the zone on this stuff. He's back biking and swimming, which he loves, and I drag him out to run with me on occasion. But I know that I, personally, have a goal. My splits have been really good this week, and if I can keep that pace up I'd be finishing TCM in 4:39. A new goal. Wow! I am going to stick with the 5:30 mark for right now, but it's interesting to think about the possibility that a 4:39 could happen. And with the training schedule I have, provided I stick to it, and P90X starting around the corner, it's a strong possibility. Holy crap.

"They" told me when I bought my first pair of Brooks that I would run my first marathon, finish, collapse, cry like a little girl, and then want to see if I could run it faster. I hate it when "they" are right. Here I am, pushing myself through the dog days of summer again, just to see if I can finish faster than last year. Seriously, what is wrong with me? :)

And then there's this quote: "It is important to keep the marathon in perspective. Running does not have to be the controlling element in your life, but if you become a marathon runner it probably will be, for a while." ~ Marc Bloom, The Runner's Bible

Maybe I will go run again. Or maybe I'll just get up at the butt-crack of dawn and run instead. That would work.

No comments: