24 March 2009

Prudential

My friends tell me I'm too hard on myself. I set too high of expectations for me and when I do reach them I beat myself up for it.

Truth or fiction?

Probably truth. I've always tried to strive for the best, because if you're not going to do it well, why do it at all? But I've never been good at always understanding and accepting my limitations. Sometimes I can't do it all.

In running marathons I have followed this practice: Set your goal for the time you want, the time you're okay with, and the time you absolutely won't go over. This gives me a bit of leeway. For example, TC last October I wanted to finish in 5:30, I was okay with 5:45, but I absolutely would not finish beyond 6:00. And I made my final time option, and I was extremely happy.

But when I'm training, I'm not good at this. If I don't do what I "should" do, I beat myself up. That's probably stupid on my part.

I'm doing this with the inspection this week too. Boss1 came in today and said, "How you doing?" I said, "What do you think?" and gestured to my mess of a desk. He asked me why I was worried so I asked what I could expect since I've never been inspected before. He said, "They probably won't ask you a thing except for Boss4's stuff."

Well, Boss4s stuff I can totally handle. It's my stuff I'm freaking out about. But hopefully, Boss1 will be right and they won't ask me a thing. *knock on wood*

But if you're so inclined...please pray for me anyway. The shit hits the fan Friday. :)

No comments: