26 July 2009

Long time...

Wow, I haven't blogged in a really long time. Sorry about that folks. The days have gotten away from me.

It's Airshow time in my neck of the woods and work has been really busy. I've been helping out with a couple of the VIP issues and special events which culminated last night. Today is the last day of the show and then it's clean up time.

Last night was awesome. I got to see a bunch of retired folks who came out for the special event (where we honored one of our own who has had an amazing career). The highlight, the TRUE highlight, was getting to see one of my dearest friends and mentors, RRR.

RRR and I bonded a few years back when I was filling in for a couple weeks during the summer. He and I sat down to talk one morning over soda and ended up talking for 3 hours, then on to lunch, and really became good friends. He has always been a great support for me and someone I value deeply.

It had been a few months since we had seen each other so last night's reunion was much needed. Luckily I was the first one of the group (his former co-workers) to see him and I got a big hug for it.

He made me cry though ("He gave me the puppy!"). He complimented me on my career, my person, and told me how dear a friend I am to him and how much he values me. I'm tearing up now because of it. He also told me to tell MS that he's a lucky guy to have me. :) (To which MS said, "Okay, tell him thanks.")

Anyway, last night just made me realize the importance, once again, of relationships. RRR has been retired a few years now, but he is still as important to me now as he was then...I just need to continue to let him know that. And I know he'll do the same.

No comments: