06 November 2006

They said what?

It’s amazing when you find out people appreciate you more than you know. I have kept a compliments for me folder in my email box for a couple years now and whenever I receive an email saying, “Thank you!” or “You rock!” and my favorite, “that is great, thanks a million, oh great director of first impressions and of seminary spaces.” I put them right in that folder so I can read them someday when I’m feeling blue.

(Actually, my favorite was from this weekend when my friend said, “I can’t wait to take a shower!” after opening her b-day present of soaps and things.)

But it’s a little scary to actually read what and how people appreciate you. Suddenly my self-deprecation, self-loathing and lack of self-esteem come to the forefront and I wonder if I’m even qualified to be in the presence of human beings. Am I really what these people say? Do I actually possess that skill or ability? Am I really what they say I am? Am I?

Maybe this is where we need to push the public to write more letters like this. Instead of just phone calls saying, “hey thanks” or “great job”, put it in writing. It’s much more powerful, and it’s a great tool to pull out when you’re feeling low: “God I suck. Oh wait I don’t because so-and-so said this and it must be true since they actually put it in writing, right?”

No comments: