26 October 2005

Afternoon off, part 1

Yesterday was great. I took the afternoon off since I have about a month’s worth of comp time to use up – not that that will probably ever happen but I’ll try – and cah and I went to the History Museum to see the Bridal exhibit. It was pretty cool…they had also sorts of dresses to look at and history of some of the ‘rituals’ people do. Then, since we had paid $8 to get in, we went through the Pulitzer Prize Photograph exhibit. This was incredibly cool. I love photography anyway, and to see some of the best shots over the past decades in a huge display was amazing. Each photo had a description, and it made me curious since a lot were taken haphazardly, (one of JFK and Ike through the legs of JFK’s secret service agent – the photographer claimed he was clearing the film in his camera or something), very few were planned shots. For example, the famous one of the Marines raising the flag after WWII (or Vietnam, I can never remember the actual war – sad for a military girl) was a lucky shot. The photographer was actually watching another flag rising and happened to turn around at the right moment and snapped the shot. Besides, luck, there’s a lot of patience in photography, which me being impetuously impatient it’s no wonder I don’t get very good shots. Something to work on I guess…that and getting a better camera.

After the museum I went home – it was about 4pm…crazy. I did a load of laundry then headed to the airport to visit Jay. That seems like prison lingo or something. “I’m at the airport visiting a friend.” Anyway, he had a layover and I had a book I needed to get to him so it all worked out. It was so good to see him and talk like we used to. He’s going to help me with workouts again, once I try out an old one I have from him first.

After the museum I headed to Bally’s to sweat off the day’s events, then home to crash. I got a call from my roomies and landlord throughout the night. we’re going to chat about how to cover the costs of heating this winter. It’s really unfair that a1 & a2 have to cover the costs – I wish I had been thinking when I signed on 2 years ago, but at that point I was told heating and electric was only like $80 a month on the budget plan so if I contributed to the water costs then it would break even. Well, that hasn’t been the case but I so can’t afford to do much more than what I am. It’ll be interesting to see what comes of all this.

2 comments:

Leland said...

iwo jima, 660 miles south of tokyo, was taken by the marines in ww2. the flag in the picture was the 2nd us flag on island, raised by 5 marines and 1 navy hospital corpsman.

the photo in question has been made into a statue with a real flag in it that flies in arlington, va, next to arlington national cemetery, and the netherlands carillon, a 49-bell tower gift from the dutch people to the american people in gratitude for aid during the war.

my grandpappy was a marine in the south pacific during ww2.

Anonymous said...

have no fear, we'll keep you warm this winter and make sure you don't pay a penny more for it, okay? and good for you for taking an afternoon off....you deserve it! you go girl! hot damn! work that thing! viva las vegas! exclamation point phrase! yeah!