29 September 2007

Safe Haven

I wish I felt safe here. You'd think being where I live (small town usa) I'd feel safe but I don't always.

I live near a great park and right off the bike trail. I love running this trail, the area is gorgeous and the trail and I have become one over the past few months. But my neighborhood isn't the greatest. My friend's Dad, when he found out where I was moving, told her to tell me to not go out at night alone – driving is maybe okay, but definitely not walking or running. I respect his opinion and some of the news stories since I've moved in around here do make me agree.

A month or so ago there was a scuffle in the parking lot right outside my window (though I am on 3rd floor) where a girl was trying to get her car keys back from the passenger in the SUV and the driver kept trying to drive forward and leave. She kept standing in front and as he'd move the car forward she'd walk with it but stay in front. This went on for awhile – first hearing the yelling (which I assumed was just people fighting in the parking lot like they usually do) but then as it kept going I got up to look and saw this scene. Ugh.

So I don't feel safe going out in the dusk or dark alone to run, even though the wind has finally gone down to a movable level and I could go. But since I'd be running alone I don't feel safe doing it.

It sucks.

What's funny is I used to live south of the ghetto and I had no problems going out running at dusk there...why is this place different?

1 comment:

Snoskred said...

I completely get this post. I'm finding it hard to go out walking here during the day because of all the roaming dogs. I'm not so scared of the people.

On the other hand, how much can any of us let our fears dictate our actions? I wanted to buy pepper spray but it is illegal here. Maybe something like that might help?

(by the way I had real trouble with the word verification - unless you're getting masses of spam it might be good to turn that off. ;) )

Snoskred
www.snoskred.org