16 August 2006

Muddy Waters...and not the musician

Have you ever driven in the cities, in a mix of a foggy, misty morning, and looked at the skyline, only to see a shadowed shape of the buildings, but not all the details?

Yeah? Well, that’s what my life is feeling like.

I know the buildings are there, the foundations were set and structure built around them, but seeing the details through the fog – the intricate designs of the towers, the texture of the stone and marble, the reflections of the windows – that’s not there yet.

BUT clarity will come. It’s just going to take a lot of sunshine to burn off that fog. And that’ll come too. What’s the saying? If you don’t like the weather, just wait an hour? Well, maybe my hour will be a couple weeks or a couple months. Either way, it will burn off.

-----

On a separate note – went to the Guthrie last night and saw their first show on their new proscenium stage. It was “The Real Thing” by Tom Stoppard (of Shakespeare in Love and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead fame). This was a very interesting play, discussing love and what is real love from the eyes of Henry, Annie, Max, Charlotte mostly. I’m not sure if Stoppard solved it, though I think a good point was made that love hurts, and it almost has to hurt at times to be real. It can’t just be something you phone in, you have to be engaged in the process of love – not only with the other person, but understanding and loving yourself. Without it, you’re just there, committed without a full commitment. Very moving. Oh, and my favorite line: “It’s scary with stupidity becomes coherent.”

So tonight I’m heading to the Twins vs. Indians game where I will, of course, be rooting for the Indians. Now, as history serves, generally any team I root for tends to lose (which was evident last night). But my hope is that as I wear my new Indians hat (I left mine in SD…stupid), this curse will be lifted.

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

Correction: "It's scary when stupidity becomes coherent." Typo and it took me forever to get this up so I'm not fixing it. Sorry!