04 October 2007

Stress is mounting.

That sounds almost sexual...but it's not. Unless your name is “Stress” and then I ask, “Are you busy later?” HA! Not.

Tonight is a crazy night – not only is it Thursday night TV - Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, and, of course, CSI! - but it's also Game 1 between the Yankees and Indians. What a crazy game. This has been incredible.

But not to jinx that, let's talk about the obsession that is mine. Tonight I'm packing for The Weekend.

  • I'm doing laundry to make sure I have clean underwear, clean socks, clean bras, clean shorts, and clean shirts.

  • I'm hard boiling eggs so I have protein to take with me for breakfasts.

  • I'm making chicken breasts so I have protein for suppers or lunches.

  • I'm gathering and measuring amounts of Accelerade and Endurox for before and after the run, respectively.

  • I'm packing clothes for the rest of the time I'm in the cities.

I'm trying to keep my head on straight and not forget anything before I leave. Not that there aren't stores in the cities, HA!, but I'm trying to avoid buying more than I need to. I tend to spend way too much when I go to the cities and this weekend will be no different, but some things I can control.

And spending will be high. Right away I have the hotel bill, which luckily I have a great, inexpensive place to stay (it's not cheap, truly it's a great place), but it's still $100 I don't readily have. Then there are the inevitable meals – one of which will be deserved Sunday night provided I finish. But they add up. And then I tend to go shopping – because I just have better luck in the cities finding things.

But with the stress of packing and cooking and making sure I have everything, I also am finding myself making my ever often list of what the plan is.

I like to plan, at least, the bigger things out. I'm flexible and often I end up changing things but it's nice to have some idea of what might go on. If I have a plan, then I don't have to worry or think about what may happen. I have a post-run plan set up with Debbie. The times aren't set but the basic understanding of what's my idea to happen is: she knows where she's going to park, we have a plan where we're going to meet, she will have a bag of what I have pre-packed for what I want after the race (another plan), then she's taking me back to my hotel, I will ice bath for ten minutes, nap, shower, and then we're going to meet up at a TBD restaurant for a celebration/TY dinner.

Knowing this is the plan helps me to relax. I know that seems odd, but while I'm running I don't want to have to worry about how I'm going to get back to the hotel, or if I'm going to have all my stuff in my sweat-drop-off-bag (since I'm not dropping it off), or if I'm going to have someone to share in my joy of completing this stupid goal I set for myself. And I don't have to. I have a plan set.

I know I'm weird. I have a lot of weird traits that some people just don't understand and I'm okay with that. This is me. That's all I can say.

And since the Indians won (12-3 baby!), and my packing is better than it was when I started this writing, I'm going to continue my packing and then go to bed. 'Cause I'm getting more relaxed as my plan comes together. :)

No comments: