26 October 2007

ironic

So today I was reading this article (on the 'net, no less) which talked about whether the Internet was becoming an addiction like caffeine or any other addictive behavior. I sat back in my desk chair and thought about my past week. Every night when I got home this week, the first thing I did was turn on my computer to check my emails. Then I checked the blogs I read, 72 of them which I have set up as a bookmark to open all at once. After skimming through the blogs for updates, I began to surf. The funny thing is I wasn't looking for anything in particular but just whatever I Stumbled Upon.

And it's not just at home. I find myself checking the few sites that I can at work many, many times throughout the day. And why? They don't change. Sometimes I get lucky and they've been updated but most of the time not. One is superhero designs by Andrea. Her son is super cute and her necklaces are beautiful. There have been times I've opened her site just to look at Joy and pretend I'm wearing it and am a superhero myself. Another is Anna Kuperberg's blog...her photos are incredible and I love to immerse myself in that world, wishing I could take as awesome photos as she does, or at least somewhat close to her talent. And then I check Delight.com even though that doesn't change until 11:59 am. And I check uncrate and outblush and the bargainist. Those do update throughout the day but still, do i need to check them every hour?

A friend and I were talking the other day about our winter activities - running, hunting, winter TV, etc. - and he asked if I had been knitting lately. I'm shocked and a little embarrassed to admit I haven't knitted since I got my computer and wireless Internet. How sad is that? I love knitting and I used to knit my blankets while I watched my TV shows (which I now tape and watch all at once on the weekend). But now, I have the Internet up and surf while watching TV. How sad is that? I'm a little scared that I may not remember how to knit anymore...it's been so long. (It is like riding a bike, right?)

Winter is coming, it's not here yet but it will be soon, and I need to come up with a better plan. I can't sit on the Internet all night anymore. Checking email is fine, checking my blogs is okay, but then if I'm not working on my CBTs (Computer Based Training) or typing notes from my CDCs (correspondence courses) I need to shut the damn thing off.

And knit.
Or read.
Or bake.
Or have game night.
Or go out for a run.

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

I'm not sure why the blue lines...