12 July 2007

Avoiding the expensive stuff; or what I didn't know didn't hurt me

For whatever reason - here's a High School meme – graciously stolen from Greens 'n Cornbread

1. Who was my best friend? I used to think it was Else, or Mark, but looking back I don't know that I had a best friend at all. I had a lot of acquaintances and associates, but best friends? Nah.

2. What sports did you play. Volleyball was my best sport, but I also rode the bench in Basketball. I kept stats for boys basketball and track though.

3. What kind of car did you drive? I had a light blue '87 Ford Tempo.

4. It's Friday night, where were you? Usually at one of the games – football or basketball. During track season I was at home studying. I was a geek.

5. Were you a party animal? oh, hell no. I was not a popular girl. In fact, those girls would stand in front of me and invite girls 2 years younger than me to parties.

6. Were you considered a flirt? oh, hell no. (see above). Not until college did I get my flirt groove on.

7. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? We didn't have the orchestra option, but I was in band and choir (and theatre if you want to go for the full nerd gamut)


8. Were you a nerd? Yep. And was voted Brown-noser of the year my senior year (only because I had to sit in the front row during government class – keep in mind the front row was still 3 rows from the actual front row)

9. Did you get suspended/expelled? oh, hell no. (see #s 5, 7 and 8).

10. Can you sing the fight song? Bits and pieces of it, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I'm even humming the right tune.

11. Who was your favorite teacher? Probably Mr. Gunderson – he was always fair and kept classes interesting. Second would be Mr. Sittig even though I hated him in basketball...he was a great math teacher. In fact he taught me a trick that helped me make it through college while working full-time and carrying tons of credits. (If you want to know the trick, let me know)

12. School Mascot? Bulldog

13. Did you go to prom? Small town so I went to three. One wasn't mine – I was the blind date for my friend's boyfriend's friend at their prom. My school proms (juniors and seniors prommed together, so to speak) I went solo and hated both.

14. If you could go back and do it over, would you? oh hell, no. High school was not a happy time. I had few friends, studied a lot, had really no social life, and felt pretty out of my element for a majority of the time.

15. What do you remember most about graduation? Walking down the aisle with Matt; laughing during the supposed 'tearful' song the senior girls sang; feeling very glad to be done; hating that we had to wear purple – damn girls; and the slide show where we put our baby pics and then our senior pics and I had submitted one where I'm pulling my dress slightly up (I was 6 mths old) and Arnie turned to me and said, “Why don't you do that anymore?”

16. Where were you on senior skip day? We didn't have an official senior skip day – in fact I believe we were told that if we did skip we'd be suspended and not allowed to walk at graduation. We did have time to go to the park to take senior pics together for the slide show.

17. Did you have a job your senior year? Not during the school year – my dad was adamant that I spend my time learning and participating during the school year. But during the summer I worked a ton.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch? I didn't really eat lunch and if I did I usually brought it from home and ate it in the hallway while reading a book. (See #5 and 8)

19. Have you gained weight since then? oh, hell yes, but so has most of the rest of my class.

20. What did you do after graduation? I worked at Arby's 40-50 hours a week. I was on their beck and call list. Then I went to college where I met a very good friend the first day and we've actually stayed in contact. Crazy.

21. When did you graduate? 1993.

22. Who was your prom date? Why is this question down here? I went with Scott my sophomore year – the blind date. No dates junior or senior – I was 'too cool' to be dragged there by a guy.

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion
? We didn't have one. That's how 'together' my class is/was.

24. Who was your home room teacher? We didn't have homeroom; but our advisor was Mr. Gunderson and someone else I don't remember.

25. Who will repost this after you? Whoever really feels like they need to relive the past. Me? I'm just scared to touch my new camera and break it the first day so I thought I'd do this instead.

3 comments:

lebendig said...

Wow. Our high school experiences are eerily similar. Choir, band, drama, lots of reading, walking at graduation with Matt, one favorite teacher taught math, never want to come close to reliving it again...crazy.

Karen Elizabeth said...

omg! you did not just buy that camera?! SERIOUSLY?@! I am so very jealous. sooooooooo jealous I'm almost in tears and that is totally not cool as I'm at the songbird and it would make every diner very uncomfortable. I almost squealed when I looked at the picture. congrats on the camera. let's take pictures of the black hills!!!!!

Sophzilla said...

Oh dear. High school was just 100 miles of bad road.