06 February 2006

*sigh*

What to do. What to do. What to do. What to do. What to do.

What do you do when you’re happy in your job position, but you get offered another job? And what if that job is at the same company where you currently work? And what if it pays more money?

Rock
Me
Hardplace

Had lunch today with a fabulous woman: Laure is so funny and amazing (she ran a half marathon this weekend – hello! It’s February!), I just love hanging out with her. She, her husband and I basically closed the party down at Christmas…too fun! Anyway, she invited me out to lunch to talk about a job possibility in her department. Apparently she’s been working up the courage to ask me for 3 weeks now. The position would be cool – working with the CLI and WMC students and contacts, traveling a couple times a year to Berkeley, meeting new people, making new connections, etc.

The sad thing is – losing control of LS (I AM the Dir. Of First Impressions, as well as the person who runs this place, you know) :), switching positions mid-year, leaving a place I do enjoy working, hurting CAH.

It makes me think about mom – someone had told her last week to retire on her time, not when it’s best for the bank. So if this is right for me I need to go for it, right? And not worry about the ID or CAH or whatever? The problem is I have this responsibility trait and I feel obligated to follow through on my tasks. There are so many things coming up I don’t want to miss out on and I don’t really feel comfortable leaving to someone else. But are those reasons enough to stay?

Then there’s the guard factor – in my unit if you want to switch positions or try for another opportunity, 9.5 times out of 10 you are encouraged to do so. There seems to be an overwhelming notion of doing your job well, but also of advancement of your career and position. You just don’t see 40-yr-old Senior Airmen working as a computer tech or an apprentice. But here, granted once you come to LS you generally stay or you’ll be back shortly after leaving, there isn’t a whole lot of department movement. Very little in fact…And I’m not sure how that would go over.

It’s nice to be wanted, I will say. It’s quite a boost to my ego to be told that I’m really good at my job and when the position was developed I was the first person they thought of for the job. Apparently I have good skills, even if I’m not completely sure what they are.

I have some time to think about this…which is good. Laure’s going to put it on the LS website for job offerings so I’ll have to actually apply. She didn’t want to do that but I think it’s better if she does. Maybe someone else is qualified who is actually wanting to leave their job. And if I do decide not to apply, and maybe even if I do, I could use the salary package as leverage for my current position, not that it would probably help. I, at least, need to tell CAH about this...somehow.

So…what to do. What to do. What to do…

Ugh.

4 comments:

~moe~ said...

Hey RAC, Is this the same wise man who said, "Don't look back unless that is the direction that you want to go!"
and "Don't let the bastards get you down!"?

Justin G said...

i would say go for it man! i think you would be great in that position. even though it would be tough to leave the good old ID, I tink you need to move ahead with it. sounds great to me.

kendi said...

i know how much you've struggled with your vocation over the last few years, and so i'm thrilled that you have been handed an opportunity to consider. you have such a nice and unique mix of skills, i have no doubt you're perfect for this kind of networking/hospitality/academia position. i definitely think you hsould tell ch though, and have her participate in your discernment.

whatever you choose is fine...there is no wrong decision here, just take a confident leap.

Chad K said...

Yoda says sleep on it! :) Sounds like you have too good options to choose from...what a blessing. I think you could be happy in both places. I will pray for you. Paz