15 September 2006

Where did the week go?

As I sit eating the last of my SF Red Vines today, I am struck by the quickness in which this week has passed. It seems like just a day or so ago I was sitting in BDUs in front of a slow computer trying desperately to finish the paper so we could burn the disc and go. Of course I was just anxious to get out of that building, that room!, even though the day outside was chilly, wet and dreary. Of course, those who know me know that is my favorite weather.

This week has been a blur. Monday after drill is always a blur. I’m usually still reeling from the weekend activities but I’m also exhausted as hell from sleep deprivation and overworking myself. I was actually told this weekend I was disobeying my officer when I told him to leave so I could work alone for awhile. His response the next morning: “Disobeying an officer. Unwillingness to call it a day.” Most of that was in jest, but I know it annoys him when I’m there later. What he doesn’t quite understand, and I will inform him of this, is that tweaking and laying out the paper is so much better for me when I’m alone and it’s quiet. Having him there makes me nervous and besides when everyone is there it’s a great opportunity to procrastinate and chat. I need to work alone sometimes!

Tuesday was another blur because I was so nervous I don’t remember much of it. This was the day DL and I explained to SEC that the committee was no longer and we are now called SPOT (seminary professionals organization team). DL and I have been working on this for months and I was really worried about the backlash. There wasn’t any during the meeting but I have heard some today. Wednesday Kate and I met to set up the webpage, which I love, and we sent that out as a link to everyone that afternoon. This was my most brilliant moment: for the email out to all the staff, Kate put the logo on it with a tiny word “click” and an arrow. That was it. Suh-weet!

Wednesday was a blur, Thursday was worse (I actually hid during lunch. I went outside and ate instead of just on the couches near my desk. It was great and much needed but I felt like I was trying to be incognito.)

The one moment I liked was sitting on the bench and watching couples having lunch together. One couple teaches here and they were sitting together having lunch and chatting. Another couple had lunch with their newborn in the stroller, sitting, talking and enjoying the weather. One other walked hand-in-hand down to the village. I long for days like that. Slowing down to enjoy each other and life.

Today is okay. I had a great meeting with Joe from Dale Carnegie this morning on possible speaker topics/options and today has been much quieter than the rest of the week. Tonight I get to see Little Miss Sunshine with JB, so it’s sure to be a good time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incognito, huh. So that's why I saw you wearing that fake mustache, trench coat and Nicole Richie sun glasses. Oh wait, (wink) that wasn't you.
I know the desire to get away. Especially when work/school seems to crowd in too close.
Karen

Sophzilla said...

The same people who complain about the move from SEC to SPOT would also complain if you walked up and gave them $20! I'm excited to see what's ahead!