07 November 2005

a plethora of nonsense

I'm sorry, did you say 'bubbly'?

In the last two weeks, 3 people have called me "bubbly". Now, for some, this may be a great compliment. But for a former little fat girl, being called bubbly at age 30 isn't so great. I denied it the first time I heard it, the second time I vehemently argued about it, and now with the third I have finally given up. For some reason, I have attracted this title. It's interesting. Maybe my attitude has finally surpassed my negativity I've had for so long, or maybe I'm still just a little fat girl.

Or maybe I’m finally just happy. I’ve become tired of letting things eat away at me like I had. It's nice to just let things go...it's taken me awhile to learn that. I know that there will still be times when I get frustrated and angry but I'm trying to be better about forgiving and forgetting. Why let things hang over my head?

Besides, maybe Elle Woods was right, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. And happy people just don't kill their husbands."

Driving thoughts

There are a few things that I absolutely love about living in the cities. One is driving into the city from the 'burbs in the early morning or late at night. The Minneapolis skyline is just incredible. In the morning the buildings look like old building green with the reflection of the sun rising from the east. The darkness of the western sky not yet lit makes a stunning backdrop, illuminating the city 'skyscrapers' as the tower over the rest of us. At night the lights in the buildings, the changing colors on the top of the one, the IDS tower standing tall and sturdy ... amazing.

Yet with all this glory, when I go home to SD I see an amazing, un-manmade world. I can look up as I drive wherever I'm going and see stars - millions of stars lighting the sky. As you drive farther away from Sioux Falls, the night clouds are softly lit with the city lights, giving a pinkish-orangish glow to the sky. The vastness of space and lack of buildings blocking the sky give the feeling of really being a small insignificant nothing...it's incredible.

Weekend Update

I had a great weekend, not that any of you really care, but it was great. Mom and I did our monthly Friday night supper, this time at Champps. It’s always nice to reconnect with her and catch up on life. We used to talk on the phone more but I think I like this better – talking face-to-face is always better. It’s incredible how our relationship has changed over the years.

Saturday night the Hilmoe/Ronning ladies went out for supper, for what used to be our more traditional Girls Night Out. We haven’t done this since just after Jake was born so it was really nice to get together. After we ate and emmy finished her cookie with a full cup of green colored sugar we headed to World Market to check it out. I like that store; too bad I can’t afford anything there. I did get KB her b-day gift but since I didn’t see her this weekend, it’ll give me time to expand on it a bit more.

Sunday was great. For once we finished the paper early and had the thing burned to CD before 2:15pm! I did forget to put the memo in the packet but I think we’ll be okay this month. The paper turned out not too bad. I did have one suggestion to help speed the process along: more cartoons! Too bad we don’t have any cartoons, except clip art, in our paper to begin with. :) nah, we just add more pictures. We were tight for space this month anyway, but in looking at it now that it’s finished I’m sure with more time we could have rearranged a few things and made the other stuff fit. The time pressure to put together a 12 page paper in the space of no more than 16 hours is insane. Oh well, it still looks good. I’d link it here but there is some hesitation to put it out on the web just yet. Long story.

Sunday night I got home and actually put away all my clothes and stuff from the weekend. That’s a first. My apartment looks fairly clean for once, save the boxes by my chair. I’m thinking of going to Depth of Field this week and sucking it up and buying my futon I want. I need something better than the 1962 yellow chair with the springs popping out. I’m not that hard up for money, even though I am hard up for money. It’s just getting to me. Plus, Lisa hinted again that she wants to come up and visit and now that the kids are older and it’s easier to leave them at home for the weekend she may very well follow through. I don’t want her to think I’m living in a hovel, even if it is just a cupboard under the stairs.

No comments: