07 November 2005

jeff

For those of you who know him, this post may mean more to you than others. Ever since our conversation this summer, e&k, I’ve been trying to engage jeff in more conversation. He’s had his set speech, “Hi. It’s already (insert date here). I have congestion. I don’t like congestion. What causes congestion? My favorite Twins player is Jacque Jones. Who’s your favorite Twins player? (insert your reply here). You said your favorite Twins player is (insert name). I like Joe Nathan for a relief pitcher. (by now he’s at the door and maybe replies with … Have a good day).”

Today, I interrupted him right away and asked him, after he gave me the date of course, if he likes Mondays. He stopped…he actually stopped for once and said, “I like Mondays. Do you like Mondays?” I said, “I do like Mondays. It’s nice to have a fresh start.” He said, “Me too. I like the fresh start. It’s nice.” He actually smiled. Can you believe it? Of course, then he went into his spiel again. So I turned the Twins question back on him and said, “Who do you think I should like?” He stopped and turned around and gave me a look like, “You idiot!” so I said the only name I could think of, “I like Torii Hunter.”

OH and the other week I asked him if he was happy hockey was in session again. He said he was. Not a long conversation that time. Today was much better. Usually he says he has a bad memory too. That wasn't in the conversation today. Hmm.

It was pretty cool to have a connection with him again – as much as I could. I’ve been really worried about him. He’s been sick a lot lately – always has a cold, well – congestion, you know – which he hadn’t for a long time. I think back to when he was ‘well’ and how people were scared of him and I regret treating him like I did sometimes – when I was short with him because I just didn’t want to deal with him that night or just wishing he’d go away. He really is a nice addition to the community. I hope he gets better soon.

1 comment:

kendi said...

i haven't thought about jeff in a while, and so am glad to hear that you got him off the tape for even a moment. he is so different than what i remember just a few years ago. thinner, sadder, more distant. he used to scare me on occasion; i can't even imagine that now. good for you for trying; this is the only community he has.