21 November 2005

and today, boys and girls, the word is...

Procrastination. Yes that was the word for me. As we were growing up, my parents had a word or phrase connected with all of us kids. One of the kids had ‘consideration’. Mom and Dad used that one a lot. Mine was procrastination. I am the queen of procrastination. I think this is why deadlines are so much better for me. I remember in college, one of our profs would say, “get it in when you can.” He was the only prof I EVER knew who actually acknowledged that students were swamped with so much and often couldn’t get everything done on the prof’s timeframe. The bad part was that I, being the procrastinator, would then put off his papers until the last possible moment - that moment when Dr. L would sit me down and say, “I really do need these papers in by next Thursday.” Then I would hunker down and get them done, cursing myself the whole time for not doing them when they were initially due and cursing him for letting me get away with putting them off (it really was his fault, you know).

Well, I’m back in this same state today. I have a project I must get done today but I have no desire to do it. I’ve been putting it off for 3 months, mostly because I’ve been busy with other projects, but today is the day I must get it done. And it bites. Joy.

No comments: