23 May 2007

135 days to go

Yep, as of Thursday it will be 135 days until race day. I'm starting to freak out. My legs are sore often (I need to see Keith!), I'm tired, I'm worried, and while reading Kathrine Switzer is totally inspiring, it's also totally frightening (She keeps calling herself an average woman, not a 'real runner'. Uh, if you run your first marathon in 4:20 without stopping you are a real runner whether that's a jogger's pace or not.)

So yeah, I'm freaking out. 135 days, and the farthest I've run/walked is 9 miles – without food or water which was really stupid – and that about killed me. So I'm scared.

Tomorrow, aka Thursday, I'm going to run my 5K course again. In March I finished in 34:56. I'm really hoping I can drop that down some tomorrow. Most days I'm running 4 miles during noon. Today I ran a mile up a steady, curvy incline without stopping (which was pretty amazing for me) with my shins and calves hurting, but stupid me forgot to time it. Ran back down and the round trip I think was about 20 minutes. I take that back...I stopped twice. Once at the top of the hill to yell, “holy shit!” and then once to tie a shoe on the way back down. It felt pretty good though.

Then I did pushups and situps (in prep for our work test coming up in July or August). The situps (aka crunches in our world) were okay. I did 32 just to make sure I could do them after doing Abs of Steel on Monday (my ab muscles still hurt – and it's allergy season...ugh). Pushups were another story. Ugh. I did 10 normal and 10 with my knees. These will be a struggle, but one I will overcome.

Anyway, I'm still freaking out about the marathon. Am I stupid to really think I can do this? Again, I love reading Kathrine. She really is amazing, but man! I'm not a sub-3 runner. I'm not even a sub-4 jogger, or probably even a sub-5 jogger/walker! Right now I just want to finish, and I'd like to finish with as little walking as possible. I have some work to do. But I need motivation.

I am getting geared up though. I ordered a fuel belt with four bottles for my next long distance run. It should be here tomorrow, hopefully. I am now drinking Accelerade before my runs (and will drink during once I get my fuel belt) and Endurox afterward. They are both great, the first really gets me going, but I love the latter. I recover much quicker than I have without it. I can totally feel the difference.

Oh, motivation – so I found this on Sophzilla today:

Just put yourself ahead in time, pretend that it's next month already, and imagine that the past 4 or so weeks just totally rocked. Every hope you now possess for the coming weeks has manifested. Every challenge was breezed through. Every cool person stayed cool, every trickster became an ally, there were happy surprises along the way, and, you got plenty of sleep.

This is how we do it.
Kung Fu -
The Universe

Hopefully this will help. I need to think ahead, right, and figure out where I'll be in a month and how I'm going to feel, look, and think. I will be farther along then than I am now. Hopefully running the 5K again tomorrow and hopefully decreasing my time will help inspire me. I can only hope.

No comments: