23 March 2006

Maybe I should drink more...

So KG is upset with me because I haven’t updated this blog lately…sorry girl. I just don’t always think there’s a lot to say here. Sometimes I think I get too wordy and talk about nothing, but if nothing is what you want then I suppose an update is in order…

Y’all will be happy to know that I didn’t drink myself into a stupor last Friday. In fact, I didn’t drink at all. I went home and made cookies instead. I’m not sure which is worse…maybe I should have drank instead. Less calories in the end but the munchies would probably be just as detrimental.

Church was great on Sunday – the choir sang at both services and the special choir for the Bell Celebration practiced between. Since I can’t be at that celebration I sat upstairs and read my book. Well, I actually ended up reading only two pages because the interim pastor came by and chatted with me for almost an hour. It was great…we chatted about this week’s text – specifically the Numbers text 21:4-9. The IP had been avoiding this text for 30 years and finally decided to preach on it. :) That made me chuckle and start to wonder about it, especially in light of last week’s OT text – the commandments. In that reading, God specifically says to have no false idols…and then in Numbers God tells Moses to make an idol, basically… Or do you call a bronze serpent on a stick an idol? Or is it a symbol of faith as we have with the crucifix and cross folks wear around their necks today? (or Buddy Christ if you prefer the Catholicism Wow! campaign.) It’ll be interesting to see what IP does with the text.

The rest of this week has been trying to fix all the crap that happened last week, especially since I came in on Monday and had half a dozen MORE emails about the same topic. And then by the end of the day that number had doubled again! Frustrating. It’s times like this that make me want to drink, but I don’t. I just go home and go to bed as soon as I can.

Tuesday was great because, after my massage with Keith, I went with a cool lady to Lo-To for my first visit ever and had my very first martini! I know, you’d think a 31-year-old would have had a martini by now, but nope. Lo-To was a cool place once you find parking. And so many cute boys! :)

I assisted in chapel yesterday with Stevie P preaching. It was a pretty good sermon (3 minutes) and my prayers were okay (stolen and revised from the Minister’s Desk Edition – which I still own). I spent most of the day chuckling at people who kept coming up to me telling me what a great presence I had and how good it was to see me there. Those acting classes really paid off! Many were surprised that I was able to assist so well, that is until they remembered that I had been a seminarian at one time. Heck, I even took worship with the incomparable PDub. :) too funny. But in all honesty it felt good to be there again…not that I like praying in public. MK said, “An OT person like you should know how to pray.” And I said, “No, the OT person in me says, ‘Listen to the silence and hear the word of God.’” So we had a longer bit of silence during the prayer.

Otherwise, life is just truckin’ along. Slowly getting ready for Alaska, though it seems odd that I’ll actually be there in a month. I can’t wait. But my alcohol tolerance is lacking, I best start training.

1 comment:

Chad K said...

bummer that we couldn't chat for an extended period of time yesterday. My Bad! Have a great weekend. Paz