22 February 2012

The Art of Fielding

Like I said in my previous post, I spent Monday doing laundry and reading a book. My friend, Kari, had recommended The Art of Fielding (and I read about it on NPR where I find all my fun books).

It was truly a great book. It's been awhile since I've written a review, so please bear with me.

The book is about several characters and how they intertwine. Skrim, Schwartz, Pella, Affenlight, and Owen are the key ones. Part of the appeal is that Skrim is from "Lankton, SD" which makes me laugh. I get that it's fiction, but to change the town that minutely seems silly. I'm surprised the author even used "SDSU" later in the story when talking about one of the state colleges.

Anyway - the story is about baseball, relationships, growing up, decisions, and taking a leap of faith in all of these. I felt a lot of me in several of the characters. The struggle they felt when trying to find themselves is evident in my daily life. It was beautiful. I laughed; I cried. An excellent read. I can't wait to read it again.

No comments: