04 August 2007

Well...

So it's hard to write anything after the aftermath of the tragedy from Tuesday. Now it seems like it was ages ago that it even occurred. Odd.

Today was our fitness testing at work. Woohoo. I try not to be the Fitness Nazi in our section, especially since I'm no poster child for health, but sometimes you just have to. We have a scale we have to meet and a score we should achieve. One person tested last month and came in below – well at a Marginal level. Marginal, meaning, natch, that it's not quite Good, but not completely Poor either. Well, I told the person at this drill that he received a Marginal and would have to retest in 90 days, i.e. October. He was dumbfounded. “Who says I failed?” The numbers don't lie, idiot. “I'm going to talk to them, this is a crock.” Whatever, see you on the steps or track in October. What's funny is I had looked at his scores from last year (when he also received a Marginal) and he hadn't improved or changed anything. Your scores should fluctuate somewhat, they shouldn't be almost dead on. So I'm annoyed.

I, however, did well. I have a Good rating, the body of a 35 year old (if you can believe that), and finished my 1.5 mile run in 15:02. I haven't run a 10 minute mile in forever. This was very different from running for the marathon – it's a totally different mindset, different muscles, different ending. Craziness.

After I ran, I was congratulated by one of our top men at work. He's a riot (the day before he told me not to take pictures of him at a retirement party because he hates having his picture taken and he's always squinting – I have about 10 pics just of him and his eyes are all open) :). Anyway, later in the day I was talking with my running buddy who said that this guy had gone up to him and comment on how nice it was for him to run with me this morning. My RB explained that we run together all the time and that I was the one dragging him along (total lie). Well, anyway, long story longer, the big man said that I'm a breath of fresh air in the office and that my boss (not him) really likes having me there.

YAY!

This is almost as good as getting a 5 on an evaluation. Actually, better, because this guy doesn't make shit up. He's one of those no-nonsense, straight to the point, just the facts ma'am, kind of guys. So if he says that my boss likes having me there, then my boss must like having me there. I actually teared up when RB told me this. Tears of joy – I forget how nice it is to be complimented when often I just hear about what needs to be done, or what I forgot to do, or what people want from me. To hear that I AM appreciated, well...it was awesome.

So tonight I'm celebrating. I bought a big bottle of the Captain, Diet Coke in the fridge and Harry Potter to read.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is nice to be appreciated and when something nice is said behind your back, it's the best. You ARE a breath of fresh air. What a nice thing to be. A breath of fresh air just makes you feel fantastic doesn't it. And you thought you were getting by being un-noticed. Funny girl, you could never get by with that. Thanks for being you. Have fun with Captain and Harry! You deserve it. You had a great day! Anyway, Clueless H&K