19 August 2007

Does anything ever change?

Yesterday I took off for the Hub City, which is neither a hub nor really a city though it likes to claim to be one – town is what I would call it. Anyway, the fabulous Sarah was getting hitched to the also fabulous Eric and I needed to be there.

It was an opportunity for me to head back to the place I spent 6 years of my life. I went to school at NSU where I double majored in music (vocal and instrumental) to make myself more marketable (Ha!), took lots of history, English, and drama courses, and ended up with a ton of extra credits while on my way to a degree that I used for all of one year. It took 5.5 years only because I took all these extra credits and took a semester off for basic training and other such fun things.

Anyway, that's not important. The important thing is that S&E's wedding took me back to a town where I began to grow and come out of my shell. High school sucked, to put it mildly. College was better even though I had to work 40 hours a week at one job plus work study jobs (yes, plural) and all my course credits. A lot of important things happened to me there and yesterday was an opportunity for me to drive around town and take a look at the few things that have changed.

There's now a HUGE Wal-mart on the east side of town. It used to be in the mall...now that spot sits empty. 6th is much busier than it used to be, but there are still the staples – Kessler's, Steak & Buffet, Super 8, etc. I drove by all my old apartments – one has really improved (new siding), the other hasn't changed a bit. On campus, all the dorms are still there, there's a new classroom building, JC is the same, and so many memories came flooding back. I drove by the place Jim and I used to run, the Econo Foods where Beth and I sang with Harry Connick Jr song while shopping on a random Sunday night, the Kessler's where I first purchased Hot Damn! which I got drunk on at Karla and Jill's while matching shots with Dan, Murphy's – which used to be called something else – where we would go Thursday nights and listen to our profs play jazz and drink, and so many others. I didn't make it to Storybook Land or the Capitol Theatre - maybe next trip.

The wedding was at the church I attended in college, where I was on speed dial with the church musician. I actually recognized a few people there – Deb, Diane, Arliss. Kay was missing but I found out she was on vacation. The church is still as beautiful as it first was when it was built.

And most important – Sarah and Eric were married. It was beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wish I could have been there as well. Slovakia is treating me well-ish. I do have your book...but you might have to wait a year...sorry to not get it to you sooner.
karen

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Hi Sarah, Thanks so much for your messages on the liver blog. It's great to hear from you. I have always loved "Everyday" because I'm an acoustic nut, and the acoutstic version is very cool. But I just discovered this little gem of a video. Kinda dorky, but cute. Made me laugh, actually. A days work done well, kind of. Well, anyway, always good hearing from you. We're taking the big gulp today as we move forward with negotiations on the 'dream house' and hoping we added everything up right and that we can actually afford this thing. Hi to Lisa! Love, T