02 January 2007

It's starting

Slowly, but surely, it's starting to hit that I won't actually be here in a few days. It's been very surreal, watching my apartment turn from papers and books to boxes and boxes. Little things, like removing the massive amounts of magnets from the refrigerator or even just moving the bookshelf from one side of the room to the other with the piles, suddenly make the room look almost sterile. Granted, the room is anything but sterile since the dirt and trash around my home is just downright scary, but everything is losing it's character. Now the character is in a box.

I worry a bit about this new job. It's going to be great, don't get me wrong, but now I'll be in a uniform four days a week. Bonus: I don't have to think about what I'm going to wear. Bad thing: I'm going to look just like everyone else. Not that the latter is a bad thing. I'll be part of a team, a team I believe in and love to serve with, but suddenly that individuality is slipping away.

But I know this is the right thing for me. While I'm saying goodbye to a lot of great people here, I know I can visit and that we'll, at the very least, keep in touch - the true friends do, I've learned. And hey, I am starting new. I'm beginning fresh. I'll be in a new position, one where I can set my own reputation, despite what others have done before me or will do after me. I can set my own standard for me and rise above it. I can be me.

1 comment:

Justin G said...

have a great last day tomororw! by the way, got the red book and the goods...thanks!