09 January 2007

And away we go...!

First days are exciting, aren't they? Suddenly everything is different, new, invigorating. You're doing things you've never done or haven't done in awhile and fumbling through them.

So my friend told me I need to brag about what I do...so here's a little bit. I work at a military base, which most people know, and I'm now the assistant to the commander. I was in public affairs and we put together a 12-page paper every other month. Well, for awhile I'll be do double duty until they can find a replacement for me in PA. The extra work load is insane but it's good...I can slowly let go of PA instead of slam, bam, thank you ma'am-ing it.

But here's a quick recap of my first day: I got to work and started to settle in to my desk, but really was going back and forth for a bit talking with RAC regarding the paper and getting things I needed from the office. At one point I actually had to stop myself and tell myself to slow down and walk normal. Of course, my normal is faster than most people's but I was actually going faster than normal (if you can imagine). I had to focus on that this isn't a be-all, end-all moment. I have time...more than I could imagine, in reality. Anyway, then my new office's computer decided not to play nice today, so at 7am I'm calling the computer gurus and asking them for mucho amounts of help. Turns out the computer is corrupt so now I'm working off a laptop from the PA office until they can get it fixed. And my boss was traveling today so I didn't see him for much more than 20 minutes. What a way to start the job!

The morning included meeting up with some of our retired members. Once a month there's a meeting of the retirees and today I thought I'd stop by. Good thing since RAC introduced me to them and I got to meet up with 2 of my favorites, 1 current member and I got to meet another who knew my uncle from long ago. The last one has this laugh that is so infectious; it just makes me smile to think of it. I wish I had a way to record it and play it here...believe me, you'd love it.

After working some more, I took advantage of one of the perks of this job: working out during the day at the gym. Suh-weet! I'm so excited for this because I'm really hoping to turn my exercise program around. The eating program has already started, with one set back of breakfast. I had pop-tarts this morning, then one Clementine around 10:30, then worked out and when I got back from running, sitting up, pushing up and sauna-ing, I tried to eat my chicken. I ate maybe half but I wasn't really hungry. Weird. Usually when I'm here I'm eating like there's no tomorrow.

The afternoon was spent meeting with LH regarding my training needs for this position and getting permissions to certain folders and such, and trying to finish up the paper. Nothing like spending extra hours here this week. One co-worker walked by and cracked that "only Linda stays late." And I said, HEY! I'm doing two jobs here...please don't give me crap. He laughed and said, "well, I should have amended that to say that only Linda and I stay late." Yeah, there you go. If I didn't have an article to write I wouldn't stay late either. But, let's face it, I am a workaholic and I know it. I felt a little guilty for spending an hour with the retirees today so I felt like I should work a little extra to make up for that.

But either way, this place is such a great place to work. I'm loving it already. This was truly a good move for me. I do miss the cities and all my friends there, but for my sanity this is truly the best. And just think, friends, you won't have to put up with my bitching about work anymore (or at least not as much).

4 comments:

Karen Elizabeth said...

I am really happy for you. I just got a phone call today of someone asking for you. When I told him that you had taken another position he sound so let down, and he was all, "oh...she always sets me up with a room." I reassured him that he could still stay at the seminary even though you weren't here, but it didn't seem the same to him. So many people miss you and your organizational skills. Blessings in your new position.
ps... did you say goodbye to Jeff? I'm not sure he realizes you're gone, or that could just be me.
Totally funny story: So he stops by and asks for some paper for his drawings, and I give him a small stack (have to keep him occupied). He proceeds to count out the number of pieces he wants and by god, I gave him one too many. My fault...who knew that "a few" is an actual number, it's five to be exact. I always thought it was three or more, but not in Jeff's understanding.So instead of telling me that he had too many, he just left it sitting on the counter when he left.
Such a strange place.
You're missing out on convo, but I bet you don't miss it too much!

Sarah said...

So, I miss you...

I won't be in Sioux Falls till probably mid Feb. but we defiantly need to do BWW.

Justin G said...

sounds like you are in your element- I am so happy for you!

peace

Anonymous said...

Sooo, what is your actual job now? Besides learning. You never really did tell me...or maybe you did mention it and I'm really that forgetful. tp