02 October 2006

It's early

Apparently, I’m having trouble lately with this concept called sleeping. Even as I type that I yawn, but I know if I go back to bed right now, I’ll toss and turn for another 45 minutes or so, so I might as well sit here and type and speed up the process, right?

So this time it’s 2:58 a.m. It’s the first work-day of October and all should be right with the world. “Should” being the operative word there, since we all know it’s so not true. But the roller-coaster month of September is finished and finished with a bang, well, as much of a bang as I can pull off.

Friday night was a bust, as usual. I worked until 5:30 p.m. (which was a first in a long time…usually I’m done by 4 sometimes 3 on Fridays) and then came home and vegged. Saturday was the busy day. After helping a new worker open the store, so to speak, Tim and I headed to the Twins game (we had gotten tickets from one of the profs). After about killing Tim trying to find the super-secret parking garage JB and I always use, I also ran into a couple people I knew would be at the game but really didn’t think I’d see (why would I expect to see two friends in a stadium of 40,000?). Tim and I had walked up one of the entry ways to a section and as we’re looking for seats I hear, “Sara?!” As I turned around there was my friend Debbie. Too fun. The other was a friend from SD. We both knew we’d be there but had no idea where we’d be sitting (ah, general admission). But funny enough, we ended up on the same level only a few sections from each other and we ran into each other heading to the restroom. How random! And since the game was pretty much a bust until the bottom of the ninth anyway, these two encounters truly made the game.

Hey! I’m not the only one up at the butt-crack of dawn. One my neighbors upstairs is moving around. Interesting…

Anyway, back to my odd and pathetic life. After the game, Tim and I worked out plans for he, Aaron and I to meet up with another of my friends, Stephanie, later that night. She was going to the Gopher game (it was a weekend for MN sports, ladies and gentleman) and so we worked out plans to meet up later at the Chatterbox. That was awesome. The cider was a-flowing and Aaron and I challenged each other on Atari (Ms. Pac-Man) and Nintendo (Mario Bros 3), the latter of which I had never played before and O! did it show. We shut Chatterbox down and I got home about 2:45 a.m. I’m just glad it wasn’t a bell or early service weekend.

After church I went to work at the Fall Faculty Tea at the Prez’s house. Though I tend to dread it to begin with, I usually do have a good time. Getting to see the faculty outside of classes and mingle through is always fun, until they start introducing me to their spouses and those few colleagues who don’t know me as “This is voice of Luther Seminary; she runs the place.” Yeah, thanks, but that last part doesn’t apply as much anymore. But I had nice conversations with one who said she has more fun talking with the staff than with the faculty and an emeriti faculty who offered to write me a character reference anytime I need one. “So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.”*

I went to bed early last night to try to make up for all my weekend festivities and to rest up for today. Today is the Fall Gathering – the first event of the year for SPOT and my latest worry: I didn’t get centerpieces made for the tables; I forgot to check on what decorations we have on hand at school; I didn’t get the napkins sorted out (one fall, two brown, one fall, two brown, etc.); I need to put together the program for who’s new and who’s not; what if I miss someone; who am I going to miss; I need to call Kathy H to get her the details; did I order the right kind and enough food; am I doing anything right anymore; what if they hate it; what if no one comes?

*Carl, Caddyshack

-----

Ok, it’s not 3:21 and I’m still not tired. In fact, I’m more awake now. Crap. This is what I get. I suppose I could read the exciting Sunday paper.

I have a system with my Sunday paper: I go through the paper section by section, but pulling out the sections I want to read and setting off to the side those I don’t (often these are the sports, car, houses, apartments and opinion sections). Then I go through the ads and pull out those I would shop, setting aside the clothing and random stores (like Fleet Farm) where I rarely go. If something catches my eye on the cover I may keep it. Then I read the comics. Anything I like I cut out and set aside to mail or keep (I’m a pack-rat - it’s sad, really). Then it’s going backwards through the items I set aside – first the USA Weekend, then the ads, then the sections, usually ending with the job openings and movie listings. Then what I’m not keeping for the week I put in a brown sack for recycling. But I didn’t quite finish my system yesterday. I was late to choir, then came home and sorted through the camera ads so I can buy one that will work for me, then the tea. When I got home after the tea and chatting with Aaron and Tim I was exhausted. I watched Desperate Housewives and went to bed. Ah, the story of moe, because now we are full circle and here we are – up in the middle of the night typing a blog entry. Sad, really.

-----

Okay, I feel more awake now than I did 45 minutes ago, but I think I’ll attempt some sleep again. Maybe I should set my stuff out so I don’t forget anything first, then sleep. Yeah, that’s the ticket…good idea, moe. At least I have one brilliant thought – too bad I’m wasting it on that and at this early in the morning.

And if it helps…they are still awake upstairs, too.

-----

Update: getting up at 3 a.m. is good to clear the mind, but maybe it works too well. I work up at 7:04 and am supposed to be at work at 7:30 a.m. whoops.

No comments: