28 February 2005

Dating Game

Justin's been bugging me to write about my latest escapades in the dating world. Ugh! First, let me say, I hate dating. The whole mess of trying to meet someone and then the expectations that surround it...like from my family, if you're dating it must be imminent that you'll be getting married soon...to that person, nonetheless. blech! I hate that thought process. Yet, alas, I still try to partake in this ritualistic structure society has placed upon us singletons. There's that stigma that if you're alone there's either something wrong with you or you're not trying hard enough. Or something. And finding a decent man, especially in this town, is so hard because they're either great! but gay, or they're okay and straight, but have some major flaw - like being married or dating someone else.

Because of where I work, I have been looking elsewhere to find romance. But shockingly enough, that seems to have led me back to a place similar to my workplace. Let me 'splain... I am on eharmony; I am on match. Eharmony recently matched me up with a pastor from an area town. Now, it's not that I'm not into faith, the church or Christianity, but looking ahead to the future and being a pastor's wife or girlfriend isn't really what I have in my head for me. I don't know that I would fit that billing all that well. I mean, come on! I'm a military girl! I have moments where I swear like a sailor, have thoughts like a marine and the timing of a soldier (with all the suave and charisma of an airman)! :) So anyway, this guy I got matched up with, it turns out he knows, not only my boss, which is weird enough in itself, but also one of the profs here I babysit for on a frequent basis. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. And his picture looks eerily familiar... It just seems more and more that the Lutheran world is incredibly incestuous...not in the brother marrying sister kind of way, but in that everyone knows everyone or at least knows someone who knows everyone.

Match hasn't been all that great lately either. I seem to get some weird guys 'winking' or emailing me - I mean some really strange ones. And the ones that seem good who email or wink initially suddenly disappear without a trace. It's kind of a big blow to the self-esteem when you can't quite understand what you're doing wrong and why these guys initially think you may be okay but then turn out to ignore you or become complete a-holes.

Anyway...so there's part of my story. Not too exciting but there you go. :)

No comments: