27 June 2010

The Giver

So a couple weeks ago I got on the short story "The Lottery" again. I have always been fascinated by that story and so I spent some time reading summaries, critiques, etc. on the web. AES came in to my office and said he wasn't really familiar with it, but after I explained the story he said that I needed to read The Giver.

So I did.

I'm not sure how many of you have read this book, but what an interesting story line. A "Utopian" society (at least as far as they knew because they didn't know any better) where one person is the keeper of all memories. A new keeper has been chosen so we follow his training for this task. It raised a whole slew of questions in my head about society and the way we run our world. Intriguing.

I don't want to write too much here because if you haven't read it I don't want to be the total spoiler of the book. It was short and a quick read, so if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

In my research after reading it, I found out there are two books that were written a few years ago to complete a trilogy of sorts. I'll have to find those too.

No comments: