09 June 2010

Thinking...

There have been a couple job positions open with my company as of late, but I haven't applied despite the fact I'm looking for something a little more challenging in my life.

So I was thinking that maybe I need to go back to school and get a Master's that would actually benefit me. Ashford University has a couple programs that I could do online and get another Masters in 18 months (accelerated program). But I'm not sure if this is the right time for this, or if I'm just trying to use this as an escape mechanism.

But then I look at these jobs that are opening and trying to look at the bigger scheme of things and what might come in the future, and maybe getting a better, more usable master's would be a good thing.

Something to think about...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been faced with BOTH of these things recently. I applied for and got one of the new jobs (not the first one I wanted, but alas, I can't have every thing) and I took the GRE so as to further my educational outlook...maybe grad school in the next two years? Who knows...but not an easy decision. Blessings on your process.

karen

CindaRu and Dustin Too! said...

Now, even if you decide you don't want the positions. What is keeping you from applying? Maybe you would go to the interview and decide you are exactly where you are supposed to be for the moment. Maybe it will lead to something else and you'll figure out your next step in the process.
I'm just asking the question.

~moe~ said...

Hey Cinda,
I hope this is still your email... There is an underlying understanding here at base that you don't apply for a job unless you want it, because if you apply, interview and get selected but decided you don't want it, that tends to follow you the rest of your career. So you have to be certain of what you are applying for. And you can see it with many people out here - some don't care what they do, they just want to be "full-time" here. Others just want the rank. Others just want the cash. I don't work that way. I want to know that the job is one that I want. It makes me more confident when I interview. I had put in for a Public Affairs officer position a few years back. People had assumed I was being groomed for it and that I would get it. Well, the interview was uncomfortable. I didn't feel right about it and it wasn't that I wouldn't have been able to do the job, but it wasn't the right time and it didn't feel right. Luckily, I wasn't selected and it was the best thing ever, but in hindsight I wasn't even sure about the job before I had applied (as in, if I wanted it) and that was reflected in my interview, my presence, and my responses. I have to be sure.
:)
Thanks for still reading! :)