26 April 2007

The wonderfulness of wintergreen flavors

Today I am chewing gum while at work for the first time in years. I know this seems probably insignificant to many of you, but having worked at an information/receptionist desk where I held the role of Director of First Impressions, gum was not allowed. Seriously, who wants to hear someone chomping on gum when they call to get the phone number for a student they are stalking? And who wants to see someone’s jaw moving up and down (whether the mouth is open or not) while they ask where the clearly marked restroom is? So our rule was simple: no chewing gum while working at the info desk.

Well, now I’m in my own office, my phone hasn’t rang since yesterday afternoon at 4:30 and I decided for once in my life, I’m going to chew gum while working. So I am, and I’m loving it!

To add to this funny, a month ago I was sifting through my bosses recycling, which he keeps under his desk. We have to shred certain documents, which he thought the recycling guys did, but apparently our recycling guys do not, so I was sifting through to find the stuff we need to shred. Anyway…while sorting through his bin I found a dozen gum wrappers so I was giving him a hard time about it. You had to be there, but it was funny. We chalked it up to a conspiracy set forth by his predecessor and left it at that. Of course we would chalk it up to that since we both were feeling pretty loopy that day – he was stuck on the computer typing up reports and I was sitting on the floor sorting through documents, all while lighting and thunder and rain poured down outside. A great day, really. :)

No comments: