14 February 2013

A regroup of ash

So yesterday I posted my plan for my 40 day long Lenten journey. I put it on facebook, but I think I'll be taking it down today. Because this morning, I read a sermon by the famous Sarcastic Lutheran, Nadia (whom I went to sem with) and I have had a change of heart.

Not that yesterday's plan isn't a good one. These are things I need to fix in my life, but like I said in the last paragraph, Lent is a time to come closer to God. Not biting my nails and reading fun books isn't really going to get me there.

Nadia's point that we give so much of our hearts to so many things that cannot love us back is so true. I give my time/heart/love to stupid things - like Facebook or food - when I should be making more time for Mike, my family, for God. And the funny thing is, I feel empty inside - I NEED God's grace more now than ever.

So while my plan yesterday is good for me as a person, my soul needs some work. Finding Making time to pray and return to God needs to be at the forefront. The rest will come.

From Nadia's sermon:
That’s what Ash Wednesday and Lent is…a thousand opportunities to return to God with all you heart. Returning again to the only thing in which we have any true self-hood …and that is the eternal and divine love of God. The eternal and divine love of God which created you from dust and breath.  The eternal and divine love of God to which you will return after your last breath when again you are dust.
12Yet even now, says the Lord,
return to me with all your heart,
with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
13rend your hearts and not your clothing.
Return to the LORD, your God,
for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love.
Amen.

No comments: