13 November 2008

Flashback...it's not just for hippies anymore

A knock down the hallway.

"It's the Police. Can you come to the door?"

Shit. What neighborhood did I move into? I thought it wasn't that bad. It's winter so most of the riff raff have moved on, or at least indoors, but not here. It's quiet in my building. People keep to themselves and all is well.

Well, that's the problem. Apparently my neighbor's daughter called the police to check on her mother because she wasn't answering the phone or checking in. And we have a secured building (for the most part) so if mom wasn't answering the phone then she couldn't buzz her daughter up (or maybe her daughter lives far away...I'm not sure).

It's times like this that make me feel like a heel for being so closed off. I like my solitude but maybe I need to venture out a bit more and meet some of the neighbors. My life in the cities kind of scared me of that some, which is too bad. But maybe I can rekindle the life I knew as a child where everyone knew everyone on the block (whether you wanted them to or not) and little things don't go unnoticed.

My neighbor told the police she was fine and they went inside to talk a bit more. Until I get my nerve up I'll send her a prayer.

1 comment:

Baritonality said...

likewise, my prayers are with you both.