03 March 2008

So much to say

Channeling Dave Matthews here, I guess. I have so much I want to tell about. Bear with me here.

My boss had given me permission to leave early yesterday, which was awesome, so I spent the morning running around trying to finish up things as quickly as possible. I did mail the letter for the guy and then, because they hadn't contacted me about it, I sent an email between my runnings asking what they wanted done with the money I had from the Prayer Breakfast (it's basically a fund raiser for a local charity - last year they had contacted me that afternoon and we wrote out checks and fun; this year I had to call them on it. grrr). Anyway, I ended up not getting connected with them so hopefully they've sent me an email with the information. I'm so tired of playing secretary to other people.

Anyway...sorry there was the rant. So I left for the cities because I had a show at the Guthrie last night, which I'll get to. The wind yesterday was wicked and cold. I was lamenting to myself about how it could be 40 degrees one day and then the next so cold and bitter. I was kind of complaining to myself when I see a bird in a field fly up to take off, get spun around in the wind and then end up flying backwards (well, flying is being nice - it was like its wings were a parachute and the wind was just propelling it away). Ah, Mother Nature is rearing her head and reminding us who's in charge around these parts. Now it makes sense.

The show was awesome. Third by Wendy Wasserstein was about a college professor who accuses one of her students of plagiarism because she doesn't believe he could have written the paper because he's a jock. She categorized him and it ended up being a life lesson for them both. I'm being very simplistic here because I don't want to give it away. There were also a couple other story lines, all wonderfully powerful. I laughed, I cried, I ovated (standing O for those questioning my English skills - yes, I have none). And most importantly, I want to go again. And I want to see more of her plays (or at the very least - read them. Though my theatre prof in college would kill me if he heard me say that - "Plays are to be seen, experienced...not read.").

As the mass was walking out I ended up behind a trio of ladies. One said, "I think we should all be forced to reinvent ourselves every ten years. Otherwise we get into a rut."

That got me thinking. I don't know that we need to reinvent ourselves, rather re-evaluate ourselves. Why do we believe what we do? Why do we think what we do? Are our reasons for thinking these things still valid? How do we look at others? Do we categorize them right away (of course we do - that's human nature) but do we stick to those categories or do we open up our mind and really learn who the person is?

Maybe it's time I re-evaluate my life. But then again, maybe I did that a year ago when I left my other job and started this one. I don't know. That's one to continue to ponder.

No comments: